Our investigations are conducted via state-of-the-art non-intrusive laser-based diagnostic techniques, computation with detailed chemistry and transport, and mathematical analysis of the flame structure and dynamics, with strong coupling between the individual components.
Recent Graduates and Theses
- Kyle Benjamin Brady: August 2015
- Bryan William Weber: High Pressure Ignition Chemistry of Alternative Fuels, August 2014
- Kyle Evan Niemeyer: Reducing the Cost of Chemistry in Reactive-Flow Simulations: Novel Mechanism Reduction Strategies and Acceleration via Graphics Processing Units, August 2013
- Xin Hui: Flame Studies on Conventional, Alternative, and Surrogate Jet Fuels and Their Reference Hydrocarbons, January 2013
- Apurba Kumar Das: Combustion Characteristics of Moist H2 and H2/CO Mixtures and in-situ Temperature and Species Measurements using Mid-IR Absorption Spectroscopy in a New RCM, May 2012.
- Tadas Patrick Bartkus: An Analytical Model based on Experimental Data for the Self-Hydrolysis Kkinetics of Aqueous Sodium Borohydride, January 2011.
- Hugh Douglas Perkins: Development and Demonstration of a Computational Tool for the Analysis of Particle Vitiation Effects in Hypersonic Propulsion Test Facilities, January 2009.
- Amy Florence Mielke: Development of a Molecular Rayleigh Scattering Diagnostic for Simultaneous Time-Resolved Measurement of Temperature, Velocity, and Density, January 2008.
- Kamal Kumar: Global Combustion Responses of Practical Hydrocarbon Fuels: n-Heptane, iso-Octane, n-Decane, n-Dodecane, and Ethylene, May 2007.
- Jagannath Ramchandra Nanduri: A Computational Study of Structure, Stability, Dynamics, and Response of Low Stretch Diffusion Flames, January 2006.
- Gaurav Mittal: A Rapid Compression Machine – Design, Characterization, and Autoignition Investigations, January 2006.
- Bai Han: An Experimental and Computational Study of Burner-Generated Low Stretch Gaseous Diffusion Flames, May 2005.
- Yimin Huang: On Flame Propagation of Primary Reference Fuels and Reformer Gas: Implications for Improved Cold-Start Performance of a SI Engine, May 2003.
- Jennifer Lynn Rhatigan: Effects of Gas-Phase Radiation and Detailed Kinetics on the Burning and Extinction of a Solid Fuel, May 2001.
- Justin Anthony Bunnell: Autoignition of Methyl Pentanoate at Low to Intermediate Temperatures and Elevated Pressures in a Rapid Compression Machine, August 2015
- Fabio Poretti: 100% Conversion of Waste Brown Grease to Biodiesel and Syngas as valuable products for Heat and Power Cogeneration, August 2012.
- Bryan William Weber: Autoigniton of n-Butanol at Low to Intermediate Temperature and Elevated Pressure, August 2010.
- Kyle Evan Niemeyer: Skeletal Mechanism Generation for Surrogate Fuels, January 2010.
- Kyle Benjamin Brady: Ignition Propensity of Hydrogen/Air Mixtures in the Presence of Heated Platinum Surfaces, January 2010.
- Jason William Hartwig: Acetone-LIF at Elevated Pressure and Temperature for 282 nm Excitation: Experiments and Modeling, January 2010.
- Jathaveda Maktal: Implementation of Reduced Mechanism in Complex Chemically Reacting Flows, May 2009.
- Matthew Charles Deans: A Computational Study of the Ignition of Premixed Methane and Oxygen via a Hot Stream, May 2009.
- John Joseph Nowakowski: Triple Concentric Jet with Swirl as a Variable Heat Pattern Injector in Industrial Furnace, May 2007.
- Christopher Arnold Mento: Catalytic Combustion of Methane/Hydrogen/Oxygen Mixtures in a Platinum Microtube for Micro-Propulsion Applications, January 2007.
- Joshua Eric Freeh: Laminar Flame Speeds of Preheated iso-Octane/O2/N2 Mixtures: Experimental and Computational Studies, January 2006.
- Scott Jeffrey Volchko: Catalytic Combustion of Methane and Oxygen for Micro-Propulsion Applications, August 2005.
- George Andrew Boyarko: Catalyzed Combustion of Hydrogen-Oxygen in Platinum and Palladium Tubes for Micro-Propulsion Applications, May 2004.
- Kamal Kumar: Emission Characterization for a Port Fuel Injected Spark Ignition Engine, May 2004.
- Jagannath Ramchandra Nanduri: A Computational Study of Structure, Dynamic Response, and Extinction Characteristics of Edge Diffusion Flames, August 2002.
- Hugh Douglas Perkins: Effects of Fuel Distribution on Detonation Tube Performance, May 2002.
- Bai Han: A Computational Study of the Vitiation Effects on Ignition in Two-Dimensional Supersonic Hydrogen/Air Mixing Layer, January 2002.
- Yimin Huang: Extending Dilution Limit During Cold-Start by Reformer Gas Addition in the Intake, January 2001.
- Franco Carmine Frate: A Computational Study of Dry CO/O2 Opposed-Jet Diffusion Flame and its Flammability Limits, January 2000.